Friday, December 27, 2013

Hong Kong - Day 2

Deborah teaches kindergarteners near Ladies Market, so she took me there and then we split up for the day so I could go exploring on my own. 



It's a pretty cool market, but I wasn't in the mood for shopping and my favorite souvenirs are usually photos, so let's continue: 



A big part of Hong Kong is food. I tried to get as much street food as I could, but it really just wasn't filling enough, so I ended up going to McDonald's. I just couldn't resist. $3 USD for a Big Mac meal is a deal that I can just never pass up!



Hong Kong is a pretty easy city to navigate, so I did most of my exploring without a map (or actually Google Maps). By hiking up a hill I came across King's Park. I think if I lived in Hong Kong I would come up here and play soccer with my friends. It's a pretty nice little park just in the middle of the city. Well, in the middle of the Kowloon part of Hong Kong. 


The hike down was pretty crazy. I decided to take another route which ended up getting me to the point where I couldn't descend with a trail anymore. So I started descending down the gutters, and eventually ended up in a little alley. It was pretty fun because I really had no clue where I was going. 




Clock tower by Victoria Harbor


Taking the Star Ferry over to Hong Kong Island. 


It's not the best photo, but that's a Chinese Junk in the distance and I think they're awesome-looking sailboats. Here's a photo of one I pulled off the internet: 



Took the trolley to Victoria Peak. 





One of the cool things about the peak was a trail that I went on. Apparently tourists usually don't go there, and I pretty much only met locals along the trail. I decided to hang out with these two guys for a few minutes because they were waiting for the sun to go down and get some night photos of the Hong Kong skyline. They're both college students from Hong Kong. They kept asking me why I was coming to visit Hong Kong, haha, they couldn't figure it out. 





These girls stopped to me to make a Christmas wish!


"For christmas I would like to have a boat" - That's what I already got! 
A 22' MacGregor Sailboat!




I took the Star Ferry back across the harbor to get a good view of the Hong Kong Symphony of Lights


I enjoyed the show, but the music definitely seemed dated. I would say that the light show is cool, but it has waaay more potential. Maybe they could put it to a song by Lady Gaga or something. Or Calvin Harris! That would be awesome. 

Before going over to Japan, Mike went to Hong Kong. While he was at an Adidas store here he heard this song that he got hooked on that I got pretty hooked on too. "Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat" remix by Calvin Harris. 

Check it out: 

Up until this point, I liked Hong Kong, but I wasn't completely convinced that I loved it. This is what sold me on Hong Kong: Street Performers. I love street performers and Hong Kong is super cool because it seems like anyone can just find a spot and start playing no problem. 

So there I was, enjoying a few songs, and then this guy starts talking (in Cantonese) while telling a love story. Then he PROPOSED to his girlfriend in front of everyone!! It was awesome. 



Meeting back up with Deborah and her friend Ricky. 


We went to a dance club for a little while which was a lot of fun, but we couldn't stay too long because Ricky had work the next morning. 

Overall, a great day in Hong Kong! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment