Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Kuala Terengganu and Pulau Kapas

After a long bus ride I made it to Kuala Terengganu!! I made a couple new friends on the bus and we decided to get some McDonald's together after the ride because we were hungry and wanted something easy. 

It's always funny to me to see how long I go without McDonald's on a trip. This time I made it...about 4 days! I think that's a new record! :P


The next day the first thing I went to see was the Crystal Mosque. Kuala Terengganu is interesting because pretty much everyone there is Muslim. It was also interesting because there was a major language barrier with most people because they only spoke Malay.


One of the beautiful things about mosques are all their symmetry. Above is a photo of the roof. 




After the mosque I went to spend my day on Pulau Kapas, cotton island. It got that name because of the soft, white sand. I don't think it was the whitest sand I've ever been on, but it was definitely the softest! It was like walking around on powdered sugar or something. It was great.

Unfortunately it was so comfortable that I fell asleep for a couple hours on the beach!! I actually got sunburned and felt a little sick, so I went and found a hammock under a tree where I could relax and spend the rest of my afternoon.  

 


Me on my hammock. It was a needed break. 


This guy is awesome. His name is ALee and he is the first person I think I've ever met from Iraq! He's actually from Baghdad! I had a great time chatting with him and it was super interesting. He and his family actually moved away from Baghdad because it got too dangerous, and they went to Syria. Then in Syria, Arab Spring happened (basically civil war broke out), and so they moved back to Baghdad! What a crazy life! He made a good choice in moving away to Malaysia. 

One thing I really liked is I got to get his perspective on the war in Iraq. I asked him what he thought of America going to Iraq and he said that he thought it was a really good thing because otherwise they would never have been able to overthrow their dictator. I thought that was pretty cool. He was a really nice guy and I hope to see him again someday. 

I don't think Kuala Terengganu is really much of a tourist destination and there's not a whole lot to see, but it was definitely worth making the trip up there just to meet ALee! So great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment