Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kuala Lumpur

After a great visit to Kuala Terengganu (apart from feeling a little sick I think from the sun), I took a night bus to KL. It was alright. Buses are never that great. 

I only had a day to see KL, but fortunately there aren't too many big sites so I was able to quickly go see the main ones!


The Petronas Twin Towers. Probably a couple of the most famous buildings in the world. They definitely reflect the modern side of Malaysia and the bottom is all filled with high class shopping. 



Can't get anywhere in Southeast Asia without running into these guys!


Outside the Batu Caves. 


I wasn't all that impressed by the caves, especially considering the 272 steps I had to walk up with my backpack on. Here's a picture where my head isn't blocking the view of the steps: 





Malaysian is a super funny language. As I walked around looking at signs everywhere it seemed like they would just copy English but spell things wrong. Lift? "Lif" Taxi? "Teksi" Promotion? "Promosi" 


Okay, so this was awesome: I've always thought that in the U.S. it would be super cool if you could just buy some fruit on the go. You know, sort of like fast food? I know McDonald's technically has apple slices or something, but they're so small and unnatural that I feel like it ruins the point. Anyway, in the KL train station there was this stand that has pre-sliced fruit! Want some Papaya? 50 cents. Want some Mango? 65 cents. Want to get whatever other random fruit? They have it! 

I was stoked to get something healthy going into my body. haha. 



After all the fruit I definitely had to go get myself a Big Mac Meal. It's just too hard to resist when it only costs about $3.00 USD! Anywhere in the world with Big Mac Meals around that price is a great place if you ask me. Unfortunately Taiwan is one of those places so it's going to be hard for me to resist going there all the time this summer while I'm there on my internship. 


Anyway, you may notice in the photo that even the McDonald's is Halal!! What does that mean? Basically it means that the food had to be prepared by a Muslim or else they can't eat it! For a more detailed definition, here is what I got from wikipedia: 

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck (while the animal is conscious), causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

Isn't that awesome?? Malaysia is super muslim and so it makes sense that even McDonald's would make sure that their food is Halal. You'll find similar signs posted around Singapore. 


That's it for KL! I would have stayed longer but I actually really wanted to get back to Singapore to hang out with my new friends that I had met at FHE on Monday. I would arrive Saturday night - just in time for church the next day!


No comments:

Post a Comment